History of Oak Hills
Oak Hills started as a far flung early suburb of San Antonio. The tag line in the early 1950s was “home sites created by nature”. Its main entrance was from Callaghan Road which was only two lanes and had no large power lines running along it. There was a large well lit sign where the rock sign is currently located. In 1959 many of the early residences had their mail boxes located on what is now the power distribution facility on Fredericksburg road.
All homes were custom designed and built. Homes range in size from small garden homes to large 3 story structures with more than 5,000 square feet. Homes are sited on very large oversize lots, some over 1.5 acres in size. The new architecture style of a Ranch Rambler was very popular. California architect Cliff May popularized the style in the 1930s with sun-filled, L or U shaped tract houses and with elegant custom versions that were celebrated in shelter magazines such as House and Garden. Other precursors include
Frank Lloyd Wright’s broad horizontal Prairie School houses, especially the small Usonian homes he designed for middle class clients, and the simple geometric forms of the modernist pioneer Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and his followers. Oak Hills has one the largest collection of original ranch style homes in San Antonio. Innovative architectural elements were cutting edge in the mid 1950’s. Many of the homes are vintage and are time capsules of the “Leave it to Beaver” life style. Two car garages, intercoms, built in appliances, central vacuums, double ovens, indirect lighting, playrooms, phone hutches, central air conditioning, aluminum windows, sunken tubs, wet bars, and bathrooms for the exclusive use of the master bedrooms were a few of the innovative features of the era.
The newest section was built north of Callaghan Rd. which borders the Oak Hills Country Club.
Oak Hills is a lovely subdivision in large part because of its many old oak trees. Oak Wilt that can kill oak trees is a serious problem throughout central Texas. The Oak Hills Citizens Association and individual residents are taking an aggressive stand to keep this disease from entering our subdivision. Please review the Oak Wilt document to obtain more information about this potential threat to our trees and to find out how you can help.
The three primary parks, (maintained by the city of San Antonio) with their majestic trees are a beautiful feature. The Southern most park was originally slated to have a clubhouse, swimming pool and tennis courts. There is a voluntary home owners association started in August 24, 1982.
If you missed the July 2010 meeting here is a link to the presentation that was given by the San Antonio Historical Preservation